Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Expat Life in LA: Accent

I've been here for so many years, that it's easy to forget that I'm an Expat. But as soon as I open my mouth -- the jig is up! My accent is one of my treasured possessions -- I never want to forget my heritage, but it's an effort to keep hold of it.

There are really two things to keep hold of. Accent and Vocabulary.

Vocabulary:

Even after all of these years, the memories of my first few weeks in New York are still will me. "What's Up?" -- this regular NY greeting made me balk -- and I responded with "Nothing!"

To my English Ear "What's Up" translated to "What's the matter?/What's wrong with you?" - concern with a hint of attitude --- I thought the New Yorkers all saw me as moody or upset all the time.

I struggled against getting comfortable this greeting --- it just felt so alien to to be asked a question that didn't require a logical answer.

It took a couple of months, but soon I was responding to every "What's Up?" with a "Hey What's up with you?" --- the slippery slope had started!

Accent:

One word continued to elude most New Yorkers if I asked for them in English. Water. Is there really that much difference between War-Tuh and Wah-du? Obviously so! Many a corner store owner - looked at me with furrowed brow each time I asked where the War-Turr -- I got frustrated with not being understood -- saw the listener as a complete idiot -- and did the British thing. Said it reaaallllllyyyyy slowly and a little bit LOUDER in my own language -- Waaaarrrr-Tuuuuuhhh -- who was I kidding?

So began a new ritual. Speaking with my English Accent, until I needed water. And then mid sentance - I transformed into a Yank -- and asked for Wah-du! Well a girls got to drink!



No comments:

Post a Comment